This blog post is a step by step on-page SEO tutorial for beginners. It discusses in detail about the basic concept of on-page SEO. On-page SEO technique is the process of optimizing individual web pages to rank higher in search engines. Subsequently, this technique helps your website to achieve more traffic.
On-page SEO also refers to both HTML source code of a web page and content of your website that needs optimization.
Important on-page SEO techniques include Title Tags, Meta Descriptions, Keyword and Image optimization, URL Structure and Heading Tags. These techniques have also been elaborated briefly in the blog.
What is On-page SEO?
On-page SEO technique is the process of optimizing individual web pages to rank higher in search engines. Subsequently, this technique helps your website to achieve more traffic. It refers to both HTML source code of a web page and content of your website that needs optimization.
Why on-page SEO is so important?
On-page SEO in particular consists of all the SEO elements that you can control best on your own. It has almost everything that you can do on your website in order to tell people that your website exists. Moreover, it helps your website to be on top in search engines rankings ensuring that your content is the one to read and reach online.
If you create a website with good on-page SEO techniques, it will definitely start ranking higher in search engines. On-page also increases the probability of a successful off-page strategy. Link building in off-page technique becomes very difficult if your content is bad or website is not user-friendly.
Benefits of on-page SEO:
On-page SEO has following benefits:
Makes website more search engine friendly:
On-page SEO makes your website more search engine friendly. As you put rich content with proper and relevant keywords in the content, it makes your web pages more interesting and useful to readers making it search engine friendly.
Jumping right into off-page and skipping an on-page SEO makes things difficult and costly for you. Investing time and money on the on-page technique brings excellent results. It also cuts down time and money that you will have to spend on off-page marketing techniques otherwise. As on-page is cost-effective, you must put more effort and money into it.
Get more organic traffic:
Link building through off-page SEO is a mechanical process. Although it gets you traffic that is not mostly organic. With on-page SEO, you get more organic traffic to your website which is long lasting and effectual (Result based).
Improves click-through rates(CTR):
Meta description and Meta titles are an important part of on-page SEO which ultimately improves CTR for organic results. These techniques help a website to rank first in search engine results ensuring more organic clicks by users on search results.
Techniques in on-page SEO tutorial for beginners
On-page SEO techniques and why they are important?
In the following lines, we are going to discuss some on-page SEO techniques and their importance.
It is vital to optimize each page of your website to make it more search engine friendly. So, Title Tags play an important role in achieving the purpose. These tags are like text ads for your webpage. Because readers will always see them first in their browsers, even before your webpage is completely loaded.
- Title tags should be descriptive and unique to attract readers.
- It should be of 60-70 characters long to keep reader’s interest.
- It should also have a relevant keyword in the title.
- Try to add keywords at the beginning of your title. It gives search engine an immediate idea that what are your target keywords.
- Moreover, you should try to add Modifiers to your title. ‘Review’, ‘Best’, ‘2018’ are modifiers which can help your website rank higher for long tail versions of your targeted keywords.
- You should also wrap your title in the H1 tag. Some CMS like WordPress automatically do this but for some, you have to check the code.
Meta Descriptions provide a snippet view of the content on your webpage. They are very important as they give readers a clear idea about the content of your page. This is why it should be well summarized as it appears in search results. It should be to-the-point to force the reader to open the article/blog.
- Never duplicate the same Meta description on all web pages.
- Do not create generic descriptions.
- Always include relevant keywords in Meta description to rank higher in search engines.
- Always avoid auto-generated meta descriptions: It is still possible that Google may not use your description in a search engine but it’s very important to never use auto-generated meta descriptions as they may be very confusing and difficult to understand.
The URL structure is also very important on-page SEO technique. Because search engines display URLs on the SERPs, so its format and naming are crucial. Most importantly, URL structure lets search engines to evaluate and rank pages accordingly. This is why you should have a clean and well-formatted URL structure.
- Shorter URL like (helloveeru.com/your-keyword) perform better in Google according to an industry study.
- Leverage user-friendly URLs and avoid confusing URLs like helloveeru.com/10-12-18/category/9DF4BD0570DF15D3ADB60080262E16A8&command
- A clear URL which reinforces the web page information brings good click-through rates (CTR).
This is perhaps one of the most crucial factors in on-page SEO. It’s a process of researching, analyzing and selecting the right keywords and then putting them in your content.
After researching your target keywords that can satisfy the reader’s query most, you should create a list of LSI keywords (they are known as related keywords).
- LSI keywords should be used in titles, descriptions, headings and other content of the page. LSI is important because search engines are not only looking for keyword relevancy but also topic relevancy which can be shown by putting relevant keywords in subheadings and other areas.
- With targeted or specific keywords, your website is most likely to drive more traffic.
- Keyword density should not exceed from 2%-5% in a web page content.
- Do not forget to put keywords in the first 100 words.
Heading Tags are in fact, HTML Tags. They are used to identify headings and subheadings within your content and separate paragraphs for more clarity in reading.
- H1 is the most important heading tag and describes what your text/content is about.
- You can also put H2-H6 heading tags in content for easy navigation.
- Do not put a single word in heading, rather try making it long and attractive.
- Subheadings are also a great place to put your related keywords.
Using images within the content of your webpage is always a great idea. It makes your content more appealing.
- It is important to give catchy titles to images with relevant keywords in it because it enables to find your website in Google Images, from where users can reach to your website.
- Using Alt tags and descriptions for your images also help optimization of images in search engines.
- Moreover, try to use original images, if not then always give reference of the image source.
- Do not forget to optimize the size of the image. The smaller the size of the image in bytes, the better.
- If you have a lot of images to show on a single page, you should use the Content Delivery Network. CDN helps your page load faster as it is being hosted and served by multiple servers. This resultantly increases the loading speed of your webpage.
This post is a complete step by step guide for beginners interested in learning on-page SEO for their website. On-page SEO makes your website more search engine friendly and attracts organic traffic.